Thursday, March 21, 2013

An Ordinary Life Touched by an Extraordinary God – Part 26


As Paul Harvey always said, “Here’s the rest of the story." Well, here's the rest of the story of my 50+ years with ovarian cancer.

My oldest brother, Walt, died of lung cancer in 2009. He and I had long phone conversations before he died because of my experience with cancer. We exchanged ideas; we learned about alternative remedies that might help each other. However, nothing helped him and he’s now joined those who’ve gone before us in heaven.

He did, however, get me interested in an herbal tea developed by an Englishman named Jason Winters who set out to find a cure for cancer when he was diagnosed as terminally ill.  So I decided to give it a try — again couldn’t hurt and might help. Sir Jason Winters survived his bout with cancer and lived a long and full life before passing away from natural causes in old age.

I’ve been drinking the tea now for four years on a daily basis. Since I’ve been religiously taking the PH Balance pills for even longer, I felt no ill effects from the cancer but a PET scan in 2009 revealed that cancer remained in my body. A PET scan is purported to give a definitive answer about whether cancer is in one’s body or not. It uses a radioactive solution that is injected into the veins and thus travels to every part of the body following which x-ray pictures are taken and these tell the tale.

In January 2011, my doctor, who I avoid seeing unless I absolutely have to, insisted I pay her a visit. Now, I like Dr. Chang. She’s nice, courteous and understanding. I just don’t like doctor visits. On this particular visit she grilled me about my cancer history and how I was doing. I, of course, told her I was fine and since any and every doctor I’d ever seen about the cancer had no answer except surgery, chemo or radiation of which I’d tried all three with no results at all, I’d given up on any help from doctors.  She took this news with grace but said to me, “It's been two years since your last PET scan, so let's do another one and see where we’re at.”
Easy for her to say. It’s me that gets the injection and then put in an enclosed chamber for 20 minutes. I’m not usually claustrophobic but that tends to get to me. I agreed, though, as she insisted on it.

So on January 26, 2011, she called me and said, “the PET scan showed that you are free of cancer.”

I was so stunned and overwhelmed I didn’t even think to ask her to what she attributed this (at least to me) miracle. So I don’t know if it’s my clean living, my drinking the herbal tea or what. I give all the glory to God. Any healing, whether from a natural substance or the touch of His hand, comes from God. God is so good.

Thus ends my long journey and struggle with ovarian cancer. I can see from this vantage point God’s hand guiding and keeping me all the way. I said when I was first diagnosed back in 1961 that I wanted to live to raise my two precious children. I’ve lived long enough to raise them and send them out into the world; I’ve seen my three wonderful grandsons raised and helped some in the raising, and now I’ve seen two great-grandsons born and have a small part in their lives. It’s truly amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment