Tuesday, June 14, 2011

An Ordinary Life Touched by an Extraordinary God—Part 2

Let me tell you what a C-section involves. I’d never had one. Have you? Fascinated by the procedure I observed carefully as they worked on me. They laid me out on the cold operating table on my side, swabbed my back with a cold solution then injected into my spinal fluid the meds to eliminate any pain. Then they placed me on my back, swabbed my abdomen with a cold solution and jabbed it with a needle to check if it was numb. It was.

When finally they decided I was ready they arranged a blue drape between me and my lower body. At this I objected. “I want to see my baby being delivered."

“We can’t do that.” The doctor said. “When you see the scalpel cutting your skin, you’ll flinch.” Even though I assured him I wouldn’t, he remained adamant. Three days passed before I saw my baby girl.

After the baby’s delivery and they told me her sex they immediately put me under anesthesia. This turn of events surprised me. I hadn’t expected this—but the doctor didn’t consult with me. This was a military base; they consulted with my husband, not me.
I woke up in a room with a single bed with me in it. Found out later it was reserved for the base commander’s wife and turned out I was a VIP: a Very Important Patient.

They admonished me to stay laying flat in my back because of the spinal I’d had. I lay like that for three days straight. The day after the surgery when a nurse was in attending to my needs I mentioned, “I feel like my uterus is contracting.”

She gave me an odd look and said, “Mrs. Luke, didn’t they tell you? You don’t have a uterus or ovaries for that matter anymore.”

Shocked, I cried for three days. As the tears ran down into my ears I mourned for my lost children. True, I only wanted one more but still . . .God in his wisdom decided two were my limit. I didn’t even think to ask the nurse why I’d had an hysterectomy. It would be six months before I learned the reason.

Every woman with a child likes to tell her unique delivery story. What’s yours?



No comments:

Post a Comment